RMAN restore database fails with ORA-19693: backup piece XXX already included.

Yesterday I was recreating DR database with production database backup, when restore database command failed with error: ORA-19693


RMAN> restore database;
Starting restore at 05-AUG-15
using channel ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting datafile backup set restore
channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying datafile(s) to restore from backup set
channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring datafile 00001 to G:\OPDB\REPOSITORY\DATABASE112_SE_X64\ORADATA\OPDB\SYSTEM01.DBF
channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring datafile 00015 to G:\OPDB\REPOSITORY\DATABASE112_SE_X64\ORADATA\OPDB\IFLOWDB_3.ORA
channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring datafile 00017 to G:\OPDB\REPOSITORY\DATABASE112_SE_X64\ORADATA\OPDB\IFLOWDB_2.ORA
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 08/05/2015 17:19:34
ORA-19693: backup piece G:\BACKUP\RMAN\OPDB_DBF_7829_1_886892410 already included

Before proceeding with restore, I had cataloged all backuppieces that have been copied using command : catalog start with ‘G:\BACKUP\RMAN\’;

After searching on metalink and google I got different solutions, none of which worked for me.

Some suggested to catalog backuppieces using “catalog start with” (which I had already done), while other suggested to uncatalog backuppiece.

So I tried following command to uncatlog one of the backuppiece:


RMAN> change backuppiece 'G:\BACKUP\RMAN\OPDB_DBF_7829_1_886892410' uncatalog;
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of uncatalog command at 08/05/2015 17:19:52
RMAN-20261: ambiguous backup piece handle
RMAN-06092: error while looking up backup piece

After concentrating on error “RMAN-06092: error while looking up backup piece”, as per my understanding though “catalog start with” command was successful haven’t cataloged any of the backuppieces.

So instead of command “catalog start with”, I preferred cataloging individual backuppieces using following command:


RMAN> catalog backuppiece 'G:\BACKUP\RMAN\OPDB_DBF_7829_1_886892410';
cataloged backup piece
backup piece handle=G:\BACKUP\RMAN\OPDB_DBF_7829_1_886892410 RECID=7851 STAMP=88
6958466
And so on.....

After cataloging all backuppieces individually, I was able to restore database without any issues.

Hope so u will find this post very useful 🙂

Cheers

Regards,

Adityanath

Advertisements