In this post, we are discussing about issue which I faced on fresh oracle software install.
[firstname.lastname@example.org ] Ora:TEST2 $ sqlplus "/ as sysdba" SQL*Plus: Release 188.8.131.52.0 Production on Mon May 30 12:30:31 2016 Copyright (c) 1982, 2013, Oracle. All rights reserved. ERROR: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
Normally this issue points to incorrect permissions on oracle binaries OR incorrect value for SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES in sqlnet.ora. But in my case both were correctly set.
After checking on metalink, I found following note related to the same issue, which explains different scenarios, on of them is if the OS user is part of the OSDBA group.
I tried to compare file “$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/config.s” with other oracle home where sqlplus “/ as sysdba” was working fine.
Note: config file name vary from OS to OS on some OS it is config.c and on some OS it is config.s
[email@example.com ] Ora: TEST1 $ diff config.s /u01/app/oracle/TEST2/184.108.40.206/rdbms/lib/config.s 23c23 < .ascii "oinstall\0" --- > .ascii "\0"
I found the culprit!!! In my new installation, Library file was missing group details. After making all necessary changes, I had to relink all oracle binaries.
For binary relink, perform following steps:
– Make sure that no oracle processes running
– Login as oracle
– Make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ORACLE_HOME are set properly
– $ORACLE_HOME/bin/relink all
After binary relink, sqlplus “/ as sysdba” started working as expected.
Hope so u will find this post very useful:-)